Graduate Commuter Options
Are you considering attending Princeton as a graduate student and wonder if you need a car? Do you currently commute from your off-campus residence, but wish you did not have to fight traffic on I-95 or Route 1? We can help! Check out the alternatives listed below, including Princeton’s transit reimbursement program for commuting graduate students.
You can also contact Princeton's Commute Options Manager, Amanda Stevens, for a detailed commute plan (Email | 609-258-1339).
NJ Transit Monthly Pass Student Discount
*NEW* Princeton undergraduate and graduate students may purchase a rail, bus, or light rail mobile student monthly pass at 25% off the regular monthly pass price, when they enroll online through NJ TRANSIT's Mobile Student program. For details on student eligibility, see here.
NEW TO MOBILE STUDENT PROGRAM? Getting started is easy.
- Login to Princeton University Access Page to enroll
- Fill in all required fields on the registration form
- Verify your full-time status and student (.edu) email address
- Download the NJ TRANSIT App and buy your Mobile Student Monthly Pass
After you sign up, the discounted student pass can be purchased directly from the
NJ TRANSIT mobile app. Passes may be purchased from the 19th of the preceding month through the 10th of the month that the pass is valid.
EXISTING MOBILE STUDENT MONTHLY USER? If you are an existing Mobile Student Monthly customer, you need to reactivate your account at the start of each semester. Here's how:
- Login to Princeton University Access Page to reactivate your account
- Login to NJ TRANSIT with your student (.edu) email and the password
- Verify your full-time status and student email address
- Buy your Mobile Student Monthly Pass
WHY MOBILE STUDENT MONTHLY PASSES? Mobile passes offer the convenience of purchasing and displaying your student monthly pass on your mobile device. No need to pre-pay or wait for a paper ticket in the mail. Buy at your leisure. It's important to remember:
- Download the NJ TRANSIT app
- Open the app and tap BUY
- Sign in with your .edu email and password
- Select a Student Monthly pass and pay for it in the app
- Monthly passes are available for purchase from the 19th of the previous month through the 10th of the month the pass is valid. On the 1st of the month your student pass will display in the app
Students who participate in this program agree that the monthly pass is for their exclusive use only. Each student is eligible to receive one discounted monthly pass per month. Passes are non-transferable. Any abuse or purposeful deception will result in the cancellation of the student's monthly pass account, and (s)he will be unable to participate in the program in the future. This will also apply to any other student who is knowingly involved.
Graduate Student Mass Transit Subsidy Program
In addition to the NJ Transit's discount program, Princeton University graduate students are eligible to participate in the University's Mass Transit Subsidy Program which includes options for a 50 percent reimbursement on monthly transit passes or two 10-packs OR a NJ Transit bus pass (see next section) for graduate students who commute to campus via public transit (NJ Transit, MTA, SEPTA, CoachUSA). The subsidy is provided to the student through a subsequent paycheck or stipend reimbursement. Please note that 10-packs are not eligible through the Quik – Tix program and therefore are not eligible for a 25 percent NJ Transit student discount.
- Eligibility. Must be an enrolled Princeton University graduate student who resides off campus and commutes to Princeton by public transportation. This program does not reimburse recreational, weekly, or individual transit tickets. Participants of the Mass Transit Subsidy program will not receive an annual parking permit; however students can receive a limited number of daily passes from Transportation & Parking Services for the few days they need to drive to campus.
- Enrollment. Please complete and submit the Application Form. After processing the form, TPS staff will contact you regarding your status in the program. Students may only submit receipts for reimbursement AFTER being accepted in the program.
- Submitting monthly reimbursements. After enrolling, please complete and submit the monthly claim form and associated transit receipts by the 10th of each month to TPS via either emailing a scanned or photographed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or submiting a hard copy to the TPS office (A Floor, New South).
Bus commuters get a NJ Transit bus pass!
Graduate students who commute to campus via NJ Transit bus are eligible to receive a monthly bus pass. Participants of the program must be full-time graduate students of Princeton University and are not eligible for an annual parking permit. Bus commuters should be registered for the program and pick up their next month's bus pass from TPS during the last week of each month (e.g., pick up November's pass during the final week of October). If you use Coach USA or another transit agency for your bus commute, you may participate in the 50 percent mass transit subsidy program.
We love our cyclists at Princeton! The University provides substantial bike parking and infrastructure throughout its core campus and satellite campuses. In order to make the most of your cycling experience at Princeton, please scan through all of the resources we have to support your bike commute.
Zimride Rideshare is a free ride matching service for the Princeton University community. The program provides interested applicants with a match list of other Princeton University community members who live and work near them and want to create carpool or vanpool, or even simply share a ride for a single long-distance trip.
Go to the Zimride Rideshare Princeton page and login to using your NetID and password. Click on the "Search" button to find available carpools or you may click on "Post a ride" button and start one of your own.