Graduate Commuter Options
Are you considering attending Princeton as a graduate student and wonder if you need a car? Do you currently commute from your off-campus residence, but wish you did not have to fight traffic on I-95 or Route 1? We can help! Check out the alternatives listed below, including Princeton’s transit reimbursement program for commuting graduate students.
You can also contact Princeton's Commute Options Manager, Amanda Stevens, for a detailed commute plan (Email | 609-258-1339).
NJ Transit Monthly Pass Student Discount
Princeton Undergraduate and Graduate students are eligible to receive a 25 percent off a regular rail, bus, or light rail monthly pass when enrolled through NJ Transit's Quik-Tik program.
- Enroll through Online Quik-Tik Program. Login through the secure Princeton University access page to verify your full-time student status with NJ Transit. After signing up, the monthly pass price will automatically include a 25 percent student discount. During your enrollment, you will create a Quik-Tik user name and password so you can view or manage your account directly from the NJ TRANSIT Quik-Tik login.
- Purchase passes before the 10th of the month. In order to receive the discount, students must purchase the pass before the 10th of the prior month they plan to use the pass. For example, if a student wishes to use a monthly pass for July, he/she must purchase the pass via Quik-Tik before June 10th. For more information on Quik-Tik, please call 866-QUIK-TIX.
- Purchase through Ticket Agent. Students can also obtain a hard copy of the application from any NJ Transit ticket agent. For a list of stations with ticket agents, please visit the NJ Transit website. Each application contains four forms, one for each month, to be completed once a semester. If you are applying using a hard copy, please bring the completed form to the Registrar’s Office for stamp and seal of approval.
Graduate Student Mass Transit Subsidy Program
In addition to the NJ Transit's discount program, Princeton University graduate students are eligible to participate in the University's Mass Transit Subsidy Program which includes options for a FREE NJ Transit bus pass or a 50 percent reimbursement on monthly transit passes or two 10-packs for graduate students who commute to campus via public transit (NJ Transit, MTA, SEPTA, CoachUSA). The subsidy is provided to the student through a subsequent paycheck or stipend reimbursement. Please note that 10-packs are not eligible through the Quik – Tix program and therefore are not eligible for a 25 percent NJ Transit student discount.
- Eligibility. Must be an enrolled Princeton University graduate student who resides off campus and commutes to Princeton by public transportation. This program does not reimburse recreational, weekly, or individual transit tickets. Participants of the Mass Transit Subsidy program will not receive an annual parking permit; however students can receive a limited number of daily passes from Transportation & Parking Services for the few days they need to drive to campus.
- Enrollment. Please complete and submit the Application Form. After processing the form, TPS staff will contact you regarding your status in the program. Students may only submit receipts for reimbursement AFTER being accepted in the program.
- Submitting monthly reimbursements. Please complete and submit the Monthly Claim Form by the 10th of each month to PayFlex via fax (877) 406-7220 or submit a hard copy through mail to:
P.O. Box 3039
Omaha, NE 68103 3039
Attn: Special Processing Unit
We love our cyclists at Princeton! The University provides substantial bike parking and infrastructure throughout its core campus and satellite campuses. In order to make the most of your cycling experience at Princeton, please scan through all of the resources we have to support your bike commute.
Zimride Rideshare is a free ride matching service for the Princeton University community. The program provides interested applicants with a match list of other Princeton University community members who live and work near them and want to create carpool or vanpool, or even simply share a ride for a single long-distance trip.
Go to the Zimride Rideshare Princeton page and login to using your NetID and password. Click on the "Search" button to find available carpools or you may click on "Post a ride" button and start one of your own.
Bus commuters get FREE NJ Transit bus pass!
Graduate students who commute to campus via NJ Transit bus are eligible to receive a free monthly bus pass. Participants of the program must be full-time graduate students of Princeton University and are not eligible for an annual parking permit. Bus commuters should be registered for the program and pick up their next month's bus pass from TPS during the last week of each month (e.g., pick up November's pass during the final week of October). If you use Coach USA or another transit agency for your bus commute, you may participate in the 50 percent rail reimbursement program. Contact TPS for more information.